Cocha Cashu - Manu National Park (07.01.2012 to 09.30.2012)

You are here

PDF versionPDF version
Year: 
2012
Quarter: 
July - September
Communications activities: 

TEAM Manu had a formal meeting with the Park authorities and the National Weather Service to start the agreement for the weather station TEAM-Manu website will be the only one recording weather for Southeastern Amazonia Peru. Due to the lack of funds for the National Weather service the old weather station is not working so TEAM is the only institution that gives this information

Unusual Events at the TEAM Site: 

This years there were few traces of the White lipped peccary (see news). 

On October 20th we had an early flooding, which is a rare event since the rainy season usually arrives on December. This flood was enough for the beaches to disappear and several turtles nests were wipped out by the river.

Protocol Activities: 

Weather Station: On September 15th, we switched tempetarure sensors.

We finish the deployment of the camera traps  on August 29th and the vegetation protocol was finished on September 2012.

We deployed 69 cameras (3 camera traps were not working due to extreme humidity in the cameras). The deployment of the cameras took 70 days.

We census 6 1-ha plots, within 2 months since we had to collect several plant samples. The average number fo stems was 620 stems.

Protocol Problems: 

We do have one problem in the plots. There is two palm species that are adults (more than 10 cm DBH) that are surrounded by leaves and petioles (Astrocaryum and Attalea) . RAINFOR and myself have agreed to include these palms with petioles in the list but the DBH will be varying every year since the plant will shed leaves of get more leaves. TEAM network should have a code to indicate this variation. For now I am using the code D (deformity) or S (stem is missing).

Schedule Problems: 

On July 24th I had to leave the station (sickness) and I had to delay the vegetation protocol until August.