Yanachaga Chimillén National Park (01.01.2014 to 03.31.2014)

You are here

PDF versionPDF version
Year: 
2014
Quarter: 
January - March
Communications activities: 
No communication activities during this period.
Unusual Events at the TEAM Site: 
No unusual events during this period.
New Species: 
No new species during this period.
Protocol Activities: 

Vegetation Protocol:

We completed identification of the herbarium material from plots VG-YAN-02 and VG-YAN-04, bringing to conclusion the identification of plants in all 6 plots. We are now beginning to verify the validity of the scientific names in the TROPICOS database, and after completing that work, we will enter the changes in the TEAM site.

We have also inserted some additional columns in the Excel tables containing data from the plots to record information that will be used to produce maps of the location of the trees in each plot and in each subplot independently. These maps will help to locate the trees during the re-measurement of the plots and the subsequent data analysis. Below is an example for subplot-01 of plot VG-YAN-04.

We also inserted into the Sampling Scheduler the dates for re-measurement of the plots and collection of new recruits from the plots for the period July - September 2014, as follows:

Plot VG-YAN-02: July 16 - 19, 2014
Plot VG-YAN -04: July 22 - 24, 2014
Plot VG-YAN-01: August 6 - 9, 2014
Plot VG-YAN-03: August 11 - 13, 2014
Plot VG-YAN-05: August 30 - September 1, 2014
Plot VG-YAN-06: September 3 - 4, 2014

Terrestrial Vertebrate Protocol:

During this period there was one activity for this protocol: entering monitoring dates in the Sampling Scheduler for the period July - September 2014, as follows:

Installation of the camera traps and collection of images from Array 1: July 5 - August 19, 2014

Installation of the camera traps and collection of images from Array 2: August 20 - September 30, 2014

Climate Protocol:

During this period, we visited the meteorological station in January and February, but we were unable to collect data because of several problems that we describe below. We were able only to clean the area around the station and cut the grass. We also inserted in the Sampling Scheduler the dates for data collection and maintenance of the station for the period June-2014 - June 2015, on the 15th of each month.

Protocol Problems: 

Vegetation Protocol:

None during this period.

Terrestrial Vertebrate Protocol:

None during this period.

Climate Protocol:

This has been a difficult period for the implementation of this protocol. As indicated in our previous report, in November we found that the meteorological station was not recording data. Thinking that the battery was at fault, we changed it in December, but that did not resolve the problem. Then, assuming that the battery placed in December might have been damaged, we again replaced the battery in January, but the problem persisted. We then discovered that the Morning Sun Saver, which controls and stabilizes energy for the system, was not functioning: the appropriate charge was entering the Sun Saver but exiting at a much lower voltage, and this imbalance in energy had affected the battery, fan, and data logger. In March, with the help of the TEAM support group we got a new Morning Sun Saver and we were able to replace the broken one at the station. With the new Sun Saver in place, we verified the amount of energy entering the solar panel and the output to the battery. We then made the corresponding connections but without success: the fan did not work and the data logger did not connect. After several attempts, we managed to make the connection, but the system did not recognize any of the sensors. Thinking that the problem might be a software issue, we then reloaded the YAN-Climate_v1.0.CR1 program, making attempt after attempt to get the data logger to work but without success, until finally the computer battery was depleted. The nearest place to recharge the computer battery is in the town of Iscozacín, a five-hour trip from the site of the climate station (3 hours by boat and 2 hours by car on an unpaved road).

Having verified that the data logger did not recognize the sensors even after reloading the software program, we assumed that the problem was larger in scope. For that reason we decided to disassemble the data logger and the sensors for humidity, temperature, and solar radiation and remove them from the field so that the technician who had installed the climate station could examine them carefully. We did not try to bring the technician to make the repairs on site at the meteorological station because he lives 400 km from Oxapampa, in the city of Huancayo, a 10-hour trip to Oxapampa, and from Oxapampa, a two-day trip to reach the climate station by car on unpaved roads and then by boat.

The technician told us that everything had apparently became disconfigured when the Morning Sun Saver broke because the datalogger sometimes recognized the sensors and sometimes did not and, when it did recognize them, it did so only after several tries. He also found that the fan was damaged, and we have attempted to get a new one, but this part does not exist in the local market in Peru. We found one of equivalent size with the same voltage, but the amperage was different, and the TEAM group advised us not to install it. We are currently hoping to get a new fan, and we will then return the data logger and sensors to the meteorological station. We have requested a copy of the upgraded version of the software program v3.0.CR1 from the TEAM group.

Schedule Problems: 
None during this period.
Logistical Problems: 
None during this period.
Suggestions: 
None during this period.
AttachmentSize
Image icon PP VGYAN 06 POSTER-1.jpg3.21 MB