Yanachaga Chimillén National Park (07.01.2011 to 09.30.2011)

You are here

PDF versionPDF version
Year: 
2011
Quarter: 
July - September
Communications activities: 
As part of the project’s capacity building workshops for the installation of permanent plots, on July 11 the Site Administrator conducted a refresher training course for the TEAM field staff in the use of instruments (GPS, compass, clinometer) and tools (diameter tape, calipers, etc.) and in plant collection techniques. From July 12–13, Blgo. Marisabel Ureta, coordinator for the personnel conducting the faunal inventories, conducted training in the use of camera traps for the temporary personnel of the faunal inventories and three park rangers. The training consisted of a theoretical discussion on the sampling methodology with camera traps and the features and benefits of this methodology, together with a practice session in installing and picking up the cameras and then reading the images.
Unusual Events at the TEAM Site: 
On September 30, strong winds toppled hundreds of trees on the central plateau of the TEAM site, among them the tree to which the camera was attached in CT-YAN-2-17.
New Species: 
No new species for the period
Protocol Activities: 
Vegetation Protocol: As summarized below, from July 12–18, July 19-25, and August 15-23, we installed three vegetation plots—VG-YAN-04, VG-YAN-02, and VG-YAN-03—and measured all individuals with DBH ≥10 cm in each plot. In addition, we visited tree plot VG-YAN-01, which was previously installed in the 2008; there, we conducted the second census of the plot, re-measuring 603 individuals.
DateTree plot installedNumber of individuals measured in plot
July 12–18VG-YAN-04711
July 19–25VG-YAN-02598
August 15–23VG-YAN-03713
August 24–29VG-YAN-01 (Note: This plot was previously installed, in 2008.)603 individuals re-measured (second census)
From September 16–30, we collected all individuals in vegetation plot VG-YAN-05. The collections are recorded in the field book of Blgo. Luis Valenzuela (MBG botanist in Peru) from number 19274 to number 20040. During the first half of September, we entered all of the data from the vegetation plots in an Excel table. The data are ready to be uploaded to the TEAM portal. The files have the following names: Plot VG-YAN-06 (YAN -VG-2011-05-26-NEW), Plot VG-YAN-05 (YAN-VG-2011-06-26-NEW), Plot VG-YAN-04 (YAN-VG-2011-07-18-NEW ), Plot VG-YAN-02 (YAN-VG-2011-07-25-NEW), Plot VG-YAN-03 (YAN-VG-2011-08-23-NEW), and VG Plot-YAN-01 ( YAN-VG-2011-08-29-NEW). Terrestrial Vertebrate Protocol: From July 17–27, we installed the 30 camera trap sampling points in the first array. From August 18–28 we picked up the camera traps in the first array, and from August 29–30 we retrieved the information from the memory cards, cleaned the cameras, and recharged the batteries. From August 31–September 14, we installed the 30 camera traps in their respective sampling points in the second array of sampling points. Climate Protocol: We were able to clean the secondary vegetation in an area of approximately 4000 m2. In the center of this area, we installed a perimeter fence square of 10 x 10 m made of wire net supported by small iron rods secured in the ground with concrete. Within this square we proceeded to install the meteorological instruments. We had some difficulties, which we describe below.
Protocol Problems: 
No problems were encountered in implementing the Vegetation Protocol in the field. In implementing the camera trap protocol, we had a little difficulty with the camera of sampling point CT-YAN-1-18. When we picked it up, we found that it had apparently moistened and that the screen was not showing complete words. We overcame this problem by putting the camera in a container with silica gel for a few days, and now it works. Sampling point CT-YAN-2-17, which was installed on August 31, 2011, had an attack of termites, which damaged the camera. However, the memory is intact, and the camera took a total of 138 photos, the last on September 14, 2011, at 11:56 pm. The termites entered through a small hole near the hole for the cable. But that was not all. Apparently this camera was destined to be lost, because on September 30 there were very strong winds that toppled hundreds of trees on the central plateau of the TEAM site, including the tree to which camera CT-YAN-2-17 was attached. At the time of pick-up, the camera was found partially buried in the ground. In implementing the Climate Protocol, we also had some difficulties. Owing to the loss of the Morningstar SunSaver SS-10-12, 10 amp-12V Charge Controller, which did not arrive at the field station, the computer did not recognize the connection port to the data logger because of a compatibility problem with the cable and we could not start the climate station. Thus, all of the instruments were installed but were not working.
Schedule Problems: 
There were no problems this time
Logistical Problems: 
There were no logistical problems in this period.
Suggestions: 
None