Yanachaga Chimillén National Park (07.01.2013 to 09.30.2013)
You are here
July - September
During the first week of July, as part of the capacity building for personnel, especially new staff, we carried out training related to the activities to be developed in the next three months. Two park guards of Yanachaga-Chemillén National Park also participated in this training. The training focused on basic use of guidance instruments (compass and GPS receiver), measurement tools (diameter tape and calibrator), and collection tools (telescoping pruning poles, hand pruners, and tree climbers). The participants also received instruction in the quality and care of botanical specimens.
Unusual Events at the TEAM Site:
No unusual events during this period
During this period we re-measured all of the permanent plots and collected the 2013 recruits. For logistical reasons we made some changes in the dates proposed for these activities; however, all re-measuring work was conducted within the summer period. In this period we also carried out the collection of all trees in plot VG-YAN-04, although we started after the scheduled date; and we began the collection of plot VG-YAN-02, completing 50% of the collection. We will complete the collection of plot VG-YAN-02 during the second week of October 2013. The re-measuring of the plots was carried out according to the following schedule:
- 16th – 25th: plot VG-YAN-02 – re-measuring and collection of 50 % of the trees
- 9th – 14th: plot VG-YAN-03 – re-measuring and collection of recruits
- 30th – 31st: plots VG-YAN-05 and VG-YAN-06 – re-measuring and collection of trees (two work teams)
-1st – 4th: plots VG-YAN-05 and VG-YAN-06 – continuation of re-measuring and collection of recruits (2 work teams)
- 15th – 22nd: plot VG-YAN-04 – re-measuring and collection of all trees
- 26th – 30th: plot VG-YAN-01 – re-measuring and collection of recruits
During the first week of October the data will be entered data in the spreadsheet and then uploaded to the TEAM portal. We anticipate that the data will be uploaded during the second week of October.
Terrestrial Vertebrate Protocol:
For this protocol, we took special care to follow the established program, starting and ending on the dates scheduled with only some minor modifications. We followed the schedule below:
-Configure the cameras and charge the batteries: 01 to 03 July, 2013
-Install the Array 1 camera traps: 05 to 13 July, 2013
-Pick up the Array 1 camera traps: 09 to 17 August, 2013
-Recharge the batteries, collect the cards from Array 1, configure the cameras for the Array 2 camera traps: 10 to 18 August, 2013
-Install the Array 2 camera traps: 20 to 30 August, 2013
-Pick up the Array 2 camera traps: 20 to 30 September, 2013
During this period, we visited the meteorological station between 14th and the 20th of each month, although it is not always possible to get to the station on the dates scheduled when river conditions prevent us from navigating the Río Iscozacín. As in all of our visits, we cleared the weeds growing inside and outside the station, removed the debris of dead vegetation, removed any wasp nests and termite mounds, and checked the connections, the condition of the cables, the charge of the battery, and the operation of the solar panel. We downloaded the data without major problems and uploaded them to the portal as soon as was possible.
None during this period
Terrestrial Vertebrate Protocol:
We had difficulty configuring the camera for sampling point CT-YAN-1-01. On this camera the writing could not be displayed, and therefore it was not possible to change the settings from last year for sampling point CT-YAN-2-01. We did the relevant tests and observed that the camera took pictures without any problem, but with the inscription CT-YAN-2-01. Since we had no spare cameras, we had to use this camera configured as CT-YAN-2-01 for sampling point CT-YAN-1-01. For this reason the images that were taken at sampling point CT-YAN-1-01 will be indicated “as if they were sampling point CT-YAN-2-01." We understand that doing so is not ideal, but we had to decide between sampling this point or not sampling it. We finally decided to set up the camera and make the appropriate annotation at the time of processing the images.
The sampling in Array1 occurred without difficulties, but in Array 2, for some reason we do not understand, at two sampling points the cards did not work properly and therefore we have no images of points CT-YAN-2-20 and CT-YAN-2-29.
For two months, one of the relative humidity sensors has not worked properly, since it has recorded only negative values. I have received instructions from the TEAM Network Technical Coordinator and will try to fix the sensor on my next visit.