Yanachaga Chimillén National Park (07.01.2015 to 09.30.2015)

You are here

PDF versionPDF version
Year: 
2015
Quarter: 
July - September
Communications activities: 

As part of the activities for beginning the monitoring season for TEAM Yanachaga, on July 5, Rodolfo Vasquez and Luis Valenzuela provided field training for 7 workers of MBG and 4 rangers from the Yanachaga Chemillén National Park. The training took place on the premises and around the biological station "Paujil" within the National Park.

The training had a theoretical section including the following topics: - fundamentals of operation of field instruments (e.g. GPS receiver, compass, diameter tape), - importance of monitoring of plants and animals, - and a practical section which included handling GPS, Compass, DBH measurements with diameter tape, and configuration, assembly and disassembly of camera traps.

Unusual Events at the TEAM Site: 

None

New Species: 

None

Protocol Activities: 

Vegetation Protocol

This is the period of greatest activity in the field for the TEAM-Yanachaga site. We conducted the re-measurement of trees in the plots, and also the installation and dismantling of camera traps. In this way, we re-measured the 6 plots, starting with the closest and ending with the farthest.

All field data has been entered in the census formats and files are as follows:

Plot 04 (YAN-VG-2015-07-18-NEW)

Plot 02 (YAN-VG-2015-07-19-NEW)

Plot 03 (YAN-VG- 2015-08-07-NEW)

Plot 01 (YAN-VG-2015-08-09-NEW)

Plot 05 (YAN-VG-2015-08-28-NEW)

Plot 06 (YAN-VG-2015-08-29-NEW).

The first 3 files have already been entered into the portal, and the remaining three will be entered in the coming days.

Terrestrial Vertebrate Protocol

During this period, we configured, installed and dismantled the cameras in the 60 sampling points. The ARRAY-01 was installed in July, the cameras were picked up in August when we removed the memory cards with the images and charged the batteries. We changed the settings for the ARRAY-02 in the second half of August and installed the cameras in the ARRAY-02. During the second half of September we removed the cameras and concluded all the field activities on September 30. We returned to Oxapampa on October 3 and are currently in the process of identifying images.

Climate Protocol

Regular climate data was collected on the scheduled dates. We also cut the weeds and removed debris from the climate station site and returned to Oxapampa to upload the information to the portal.

The final data collection on this site was on September 16, and as we reported earlier, we proceeded to dismantle the station to move it to a place near Oxapampa. The new site is on a mountain at the following coordinates: 18L 0462086, 8833899, at an altitude of 2938 m. For now we are waiting for the park guards to verify the proposed place and to give final authorization for the installation.

Protocol Problems: 

Vegetation Protocol

None

Terrestrial Vertebrate Protocol

Although we do everything possible to keep the cameras dry, the humidity always affects the cameras, because even though we put the cameras on silica gel when we return from the field, they never completely dry, and this affects the display screens, not allowing a correct reading of configuration for ARRAY-02. For this reason, at least for three of the cameras, we have maintained the same configuration of ARRAY-01, (e.g. CT-YAN-1-01 for CT-YAN -2-01; CT-YAN-1-09 for CT-YAN-2-09, CT-YAN-1-10 for CT-YAN-2-10) and of course this decision also affects reading the percentage of charge, "run test" and "arming motion."

Other times, it has happened that after configuring cameras for the ARRAY-02, some cameras lost visibility on their screens, however continued to take pictures without problems. For these cases, we did several tests of the time to place the posters and let the camera start automatically; therefore some sampling points show photos of people holding the poster at the start of the shooting.

Climate Protocol

None
 

Schedule Problems: 

None

Logistical Problems: 

None

Suggestions: 

It would be good to receive a few replacements cameras or ideas to fix the problem with humidity