Yanachaga Chimillén National Park (07.01.2016 to 09.30.2016)

You are here

PDF versionPDF version
Year: 
2016
Quarter: 
July - September
Communications activities: 

As part of the activities to begin the 2016 monitoring season for TEAM Yanachaga, on August 2, Rodolfo Vasquez and Luis Valenzuela provided field training for 6 MBG workers and 2 rangers from the Yanachaga Chemillén National Park. The training took place on the premises and around the biological station "Paujil" within the National Park.

The training consisted of two parts: theoretical sessions on the fundamentals of operation of field instruments (e.g. GPS receiver, compass, diameter tape) and on the importance of monitoring of plants and animals, and practical sessions on handling GPS and compass, measuring DAP,  and configuring, assembling and disassembling camera traps.

Unusual Events at the TEAM Site: 

None

New Species: 

None

Protocol Activities: 

Vegetation Protocol:

For budgetary reasons, this year we started activities a month later than originally programmed. When possible, we adjusted the dates of the re-measurements so that all plots were measured in the dry season. We re-measured the 6 plots, starting with the nearest and ending with the farthest, on the following dates:

-Plot VG-YAN-01: re-measurement and collection of new recruits– August 28 - 29, 2016

-Plot VG-YAN-02: re-measurement and collection of new recruits – August 11 - 12, 2016

-Plot VG-YAN-03: re-measurement and collection of new recruits– August 26 - 27, 2016

-Plot VG-YAN-04: re-measurement and collection of new recruits– August 13 - 14, 2016

-Plot VG-YAN-05: re-measurement and collection of new recruits– September 26 - 27, 2016

-Plot VG-YAN-06: re-measurement and collection of new recruits– September 28 - 29, 2016

We are currently entering the data in a spreadsheet for insertion into the TEAM portal as soon as possible.

 

Terrestrial Vertebrate Protocol:

As noted above, the implementation of the protocols was started later than in the previous years. To date we have performed the following tasks:

July 25 – 27: Set up the cameras and charged the batteries

August 03 – 11: Installed cameras for Array 1

September 03 – 11: Picked up cameras for Array 1

September 11 – 14: Collected the images from Array 1, cleaned the cameras and charged the batteries

September 15 – 25: Installed cameras for Array 2

 

Climate Protocol:

None

Protocol Problems: 

Vegetation Protocol.

None

Terrestrial Vertebrate Protocol.

Although we do everything possible to keep the cameras dry, (keeping them in airtight plastic containers with silica gel, checking them every two months to verify their proper operation, and at the same time changing the silica gel every time they are checked) the humidity always affects them, in particular the display screens, not allowing a correct reading of the configuration.

As the years have gone by, the number of affected cameras has increased to the point that this year it was not possible to make configuration changes, so only some of the sampling points of Array 1 have the correct configuration, and most of the cameras will appear with the configuration of Array 2 (the last configuration used last year).

However, we take special care to assure that at least the dates of sampling are correct. For this, we test the cameras by taking pictures and then check them on the computer. The lack of visibility on the screen also affects the remaining set up of the cameras, and what we are doing is to let  the cameras start automatically, therefore some sampling points show photos of people holding the poster at the start of the shootings.

Climate Protocol.

In June, a local technician dismantled the data logger and sensors and took them to Oxapampa to test them. The data logger is misconfigured and the technician has not been able to come up with a solution.

Schedule Problems: 

None

Logistical Problems: 

None

Suggestions: 

None