Yanachaga Chimillén National Park (10.01.2011 to 12.31.2011)

You are here

PDF versionPDF version
Year: 
2011
Quarter: 
October - December
Communications activities: 

The Site Administrator and Blgo. Rocio Rojas (MBG botanist in Peru) were invited by the Servicio Nacional de Áreas Naturales Protegidas del Perú (SERNANP) to conduct a course on vascular plant taxonomy and MBG’s activities in Yanachaga-Chemillén National Park. The course, developed in northern Peru at the Cordillera del Colan National Sanctuary, was attended by 20 park rangers.

Unusual Events at the TEAM Site: 

 None

New Species: 

 None

Protocol Activities: 

Vegetation Protocol: From October 16–29, we made collections in vegetation plot VG-YAN-06, collecting approximately 80% of the individuals in the plot. We plan to collect the remaining 20% in June 2012. The collections are recorded in the field book of Blgo. Luis Valenzuela (MBG botanist in Peru), from number 20065 to number 20842. During November and December, we identified the collections from vegetation plot VG-YAN-05, identifying all collections to family and 95% to genus. Because the material has no flowers and/or fruit, we were able to identify only 45% of the collections to species. Terrestrial Vertebrate Protocol: From October 4–16, we picked up the 30 camera traps in the second array. From October 17–18 we retrieved the information from the memory cards, cleaned the camera traps, and stored them in a container with silica gel. During the third week of October, we organized the images. Generally, we were able to photograph most of the animals expected. We did not obtain photographs of only two of the medium-sized mammal species—the bush dog (el perro de monte) and a wild pig (peccary)—that should in theory be present in the area or have at some time been sighted there. Among the most common species and those for which we have the largest number of images are the Samaño (Agouti paca), Añuje (Dasyprocta sp.), Sachavaca (Tapirus terrestris), Achuni (Nasua sp.), and Paujil (Mitu tuberosum). The species captured on camera in only one sampling point and in a single event are the jaguar (Panthera onca) and the spectacled bear (Tremarctos ornatus), for which we have only low-quality images. Climate Protocol: During the third week of December, we visited the climate station to start it, but we encountered the difficulty described below. Thus, we only cleaned the surrounding brush.

Protocol Problems: 

Vegetation Protocol: No problems were encountered in the field with the Vegetation Protocol, but we are not able to upload information to the TEAM Web site. We do not have the necessary permits. Terrestrial Vertebrate Protocol: At sampling point CT-YAN-2-06, the memory of the camera trap apparently broke down because we have not been able to open the files. However, the camera trap is in good condition. We have had the images for several months, but we could not do anything with them because we have had difficulty operating DeskTEAM. We do not have the necessary permits. Climate Protocol: We left from Oxapampa on December 18 and arrived at the station on December 20 at mid-morning, bringing the Data Logger. We made the required connections to start the program, but the Data Logger did not recognize the sensors throughout the afternoon of the 20th and part of the morning of the 21st. The local consultant tried without success to make it work, and I therefore decided that it would be best to return to Oxapampa with parts of the station to see how we could solve the problem there. We brought the sensors for humidity, temperature, and radiation but not the rain gauge sensor because the cable has to be buried since the wild rats like to chew on it when it is exposed. Because the cable had been bitten by a rat, I decided to insert it into a pvc tube and bury it. The manual rain gauge (U.S. Weather precipitation bucket) presents another difficulty. It is installed, but I have no staff to do the measurements: a person would have to be there almost 24 hours to make measurements after every big rain.

Schedule Problems: 

 None

Logistical Problems: 

Although there were no formal logistical problems, we had some difficulty in crossing the rivers. More than once, we hoped that the river flow would subside since rains in the mountains had caused the rivers to rise to the level that made it impossible for us to cross.

Suggestions: 

 None